meeshell (dygitalgirl) wrote in preemieparents,


Your Name & Age: Michelle, 29 years old
Child(rens) Name & Age: Lukas William
Child(rens) Date of Birth: 2/1/2007
Born At *how many weeks*: 32 weeks
Weight & Length:  4lbs 9.4 oz
Tell us about yourself: I'm now a SAHM, I resigned from my job on May 1st. I just couldn't face going back to work and leaving my little boy. He is growing well now and developing as he should I suppose. My husband and I made some sacrifices to allow me to stay home and I think it's the best decision ever!

I had a difficult pregnancy to begin with from the momenty I found out I was pregnant. I used to kickbox often, and one day while walking into work I thought my period had started but it was so heavy. The doctors told me I was pregnant but they didn't know what was wrong and the bleeding wouldn't stop. Eventually the found a tear in the placenta that did heal but never fully. Throughout my pregnancy I endured occasional bleeds, and later in the pregnancy I had severe back pain which now I suspect was real contractions and not braxton hicks.
My EDD was March 21st. But on January 30th at about 7:45am my water broke. I went back to the hospital immediately (I worked the graveyard shift at the hospital) abd they worked me up and found that I was having faint contractions in my back and I had lost most of my amniotic fluid. They couldn't give me anything to stop the contractions so they put me on bed rest in hopes of stopping the contractions naturally and antibiotics to avoid sepsis in me and my boy. The dud ultrasound sonce a day to make sure there was enough fluid and kept me in bed, they told me they would keep me there as long as they could. I wasn't happy at the prospect of spending up to 8 weeks opn bedrest IN the hospital while my husband and my 13 year old son had to go on about their lives without me.  But I knew the baby was in danger so I sat in the hospital. On February 1st we did our daily ultrasound and the perinatologist told me that there was no longer enough fluid for the baby and he thought they should induce. At 7:21pm they induced and by 11:54 pm I had the most beautiful tiny baby boy. But, of course I didn't get to hold him, they whisked him off to NICU and I got to see him 2 hours later. He spent 2 weeks in NICU. When he came home I was so nervous! They didn't send monitors so I held him all the time just to make sure he was still breathing. He was 3 months old on May 1st and growing like a little weed. Our only problem since he came home has been my diminishing milk supply, I haven't been able to pump enough to really even feed him, so he has been formula fed for about a month now.

I know my experience was not even half what some of you ladies have endured. My heart goes out to you all and I hope to find some friends in this community. Families in New Mexico would be super, but anyone, anywhere can add me or respond.

I do have one question. Have any motheres here had trouble with their milk supply diminishing after their babies come home? I am trying to re-establish my milk supply and my doctor and the baby's doctor says it can be done, yet I am not having alot of luck. And the guilt is just horrible that I can't seem to give my baby what would be most helpful to him right now. 

  • Post a new comment


    Comments allowed for members only

    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your IP address will be recorded